Osteoarthritis Knee Pain Relief with Viscosupplementation
Updated: Sep 5, 2019
According to the CDC over 22% of adults in the US were told that they have some form of arthritis (2013 - 2015). Osteoarthritis, a degenerative disease is the most common form of arthritis. In fact, it is a leading cause of disability. According to reports (NIH), it affects 27 million people in America. While osteoarthritis often begins after age 45, it can affect younger individuals, with women being diagnosed more often than men. Are you seeking osteoarthritis knee pain relief?
Many patients come to Manalapan Spine Care and Rehabilitation because they find it painful to climb stairs, kneel/bend down, walk, or sit from an extended period of time. In addition, it may be difficult to complete work related tasks or enjoy sports and hobbies due to osteoarthritis knee pain.
Factors or Causes of Osteoarthritis Knee Pain
When cartilage breaks down and wears away, bones often rub together. Inflammation, swelling, stiffness and limited mobility may result; bone spurs can even develop. Osteoarthritis knee pain factors may include:
· Age-related wear and tear of the joint
· Injuries: Slip and fall, automobile and sports
· Repetitive motion (lifting heavy objects, construction workers)
· Lack of exercise
· Infection or illnesses (RA)
Adding Viscosupplementation for Osteoarthritis Knee Pain Relief
Our goal at Manalapan Spine Care and Rehabilitation is to reduce pain and increase function. Upon the evaluation of a patient’s health history and various diagnostic tests, a treatment program is designed. Many patients do extremely well when several treatments are integrated, based upon the root cause of their knee pain. Chiropractic care (correct structural imbalances), physical therapy (to strengthen muscles and increase joint flexibility), supports, kinesio taping, therapeutic massage, activity modification recommendations and nutritional counseling for weight loss are offered. In addition, a powerful treatment option - Viscosupplementation (Hyaluronic acid injections) for early osteoarthritis of the knee to moderate osteoarthritis is administered by Alison Griffin, our Nurse Practitioner.
A naturally occurring lubricating gel - Hyaluronic acid, is found in joint fluid to provide lubrication - acting as a shock absorber. Under guided ultrasound, patients receive an injection of Hyaluronic acid (Hyalgan) between the bones that are rubbing. Think of this as adding a protective cushion. Over several weeks, injections are administered. Some patients experience relief immediately after Viscosupplementation that last for up to six months or longer.
Benefits of Viscosupplementation:
· A simple procedure done right in our Center.
· Does not require sedation.
· Most patients are able to drive themselves to/from their appointment and then return to work. (with limiting activities that place excessive weight on the knee for a couple of days)
· Does not mask pain, unlike some over the counter or prescription medications.
· It’s cost effective and may be covered under a patient’s health insurance.
· Great option for those suffering with knee pain, and looking for osteoarthritis knee pain relief without surgery.
· Complications are rare and if experienced are usually minimal (slight warmth or minor swelling) and disappear quickly.
· Approved by the US Food and Drug Administration in 1997.
Alison Griffon, Nurse Practitioner, provides Free Consultations. In addition to Viscosupplementation, a variety of holistic pain control options, including an effective weight loss program to help improve one’s quality of life are offered. If you are in early osteoarthritis or moderate osteoarthritis of the knee, call 732-972-5900 today and schedule an appointment. Most health insurance plans are accepted, and payment plans are available. Let us help you get back on your feet!